clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hawks avoid collapse in double-overtime win over Knicks, 140-135

New York Knicks v Atlanta Hawks Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

The Atlanta Hawks hosted the New York Knicks Sunday evening, and with Dewayne Dedmon active off the bench, they were slightly less short-handed than they were Friday night in Boston. Trae Young also returned to action following a one-game absence due to an ankle issue. He was questionable to play coming in.

Cam Reddish and DeAndre’ Bembry remained out, while Bruno Fernando returned on a 15-minute restriction. Young, Kevin Huerter, De’Andre Hunter, John Collins and Damian Jones started for the Hawks.

Atlanta appeared to take control from the tip, getting out to a 9-4 lead.

The Knicks caught up, however, and proceeded to take control in the first quarter behind a 9-0 run. Reggie Bullock and Julius Randle were hot from the start, with Atlanta having little answer defensively. The Hawks weathered the storm and hung in the contest, trailing 31-20 heading to the second after trailing by as many as 15.

Collins was everywhere for Atlanta, helping get them back into the game in the second quarter. He had 18 points in his first 13 minutes of action, and a 16-4 run by the Hawks pulled them within four points at the 7:29 mark in the second.

Young hit three free throws to tie the score at 46 with 5:51 left in the half, then hit a three to give the Hawks their first lead of the second quarter less than forty seconds later.

The Knicks battled back and led 63-61 at half. Atlanta was able to fight back into the contest behind a 41-point second quarter. They had only two turnovers in the half, one in each quarter, yet still trailed due to a lackluster start defensively. Collins finished the half with 20 points and six rebounds. Young had 14 points, five assists and two steals.

Randle led the way for the Knicks, posting a first half double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds. Bullock had 13 points, going 3-for-5 from three-point range.

Atlanta started the second half on a 9-2 run, prompting a quick New York timeout. The Knicks fought back for a moment until another 8-0 Hawks spurt put them up 10 with 6:21 left in the third.

Atlanta held the margin, leading 94-83 heading into the fourth, outscoring the Knicks 33-20 in the third.

The opening moments of the fourth were of the back-and-forth nature, with the Hawks maintaining their 11-point lead inside the 9:00 mark.

New York got within four with a 12-2 run, trailing just 109-105 with less than 6:00 remaining. Young hit an and-one floater to put the lead at 114-107 with 3:27 remaining.

Bullock hit a three to cut it to two with 2:42 remaining but Young raced down the floor for a lay-in to push it back to 116-112.

Randle went to the line with a chance to tie the game with 30.3 seconds remaining in regulation, trailing 116-114. He made both and the score was tied at 116. Hawks timeout, still 30.3 on the clock.

Mitchell Robinson stole a potential lob from Young to Collins, giving the Knicks a chance to win. The Knicks walked the ball up the court, with Randle eventually missing. Atlanta gathered the rebound and Huerter called timeout with 1.2 left.

Young got a great look at a floater, but missed it. The teams went to overtime tied at 116.

New York got the first basket of the overtime, a fastbreak layup by Elfrid Payton. Collins tied the score with a drive to the rim on the ensuing possession.

Wayne Ellington hit his fifth three-pointer of the contest to put the Knicks up 121-118.

Bullock scored on a tremendous pass from Payton in transition moments later to put New York up 123-118. New York pushed the run to 9-2 with free throws and led 125-118 with 2:00 remaining. Robinson went to the free throw line with 1:56 remaining, Knicks still up by seven.

The Hawks battled back, however, and trailed just 126-124 with 32.5 remaining after a couple of quick scores from Young and Collins.

Payton traveled and gave the Hawks a chance to tie or win with 11.6 left in overtime.

Young got fouled on a drive and went to the line with a pair of free throws to tie the game with 7.2 on the clock. He made the first. He made the second, tie game. The Knicks were unable to score, on a rather ugly possession, and the game went to yet another overtime.

Hunter hit a three to put the Hawks up 133-129 with 2:30 remaining. Young hit a three on the ensuing possession to give the Hawks a seven point lead with 2:12 to go.

The Knicks responded with a 4-0 push to make it 136-133 in favor of the Hawks with 1:10 to go. Huerter traveled on the ensuing possession to give the Knicks a chance with 48.5 remaining in the second overtime.

Payton missed a three and the Hawks held the ball until they called a timeout with 13 seconds left, still up 136-133. Young hit two frees throws after being fouled on the inbound to all but seal the win. Hawks won with a final score of 140-135.

Young finished with 48 points and 13 assists in the win, with Collins adding 32 points and 16 rebounds. Dedmon posted 10 points, eight rebounds and six blocks across 33 minutes in his return to Atlanta. Huerter had 16 points and six assists. Hunter had 19 points, nine rebounds and five steals.

Randle led the way for New York with 30 points and 17 rebounds. Bullock added 21 points including five made three-pointers.

The Hawks will be back in action on Monday night from Orlando against the Magic.