The Atlanta Hawks finished the 2016-2017 NBA season with an identical 43-39 record to the Memphis Grizzlies. As a result, the team was subject to a tiebreaker via the NBA and that occurred on Tuesday afternoon. Following that process, it was determined that Atlanta’s first round selection will come at No. 19 overall.
While the difference between No. 19 and No. 20 is largely negligible, it is certainly a pleasant outcome for the Hawks to claim the earlier selection and it will be (very) interesting as to the type of player that Atlanta targets with that choice. At the very least, we now know the exact positioning that Mike Budenholzer and Wes Wilcox be working from, with the No. 31 and No. 60 picks also arriving in the second round.
Here is the full non-lottery draft order after various tiebreakers were executed on Tuesday:
16. Chicago Bulls
17. Milwaukee Bucks
18. Indiana Pacers
19.. Atlanta Hawks
20. Portland Trail Blazers (via Memphis Grizzlies)
22. Brooklyn Nets (via Washington Wizards)
23. Toronto Raptors
24. Utah Jazz
25. Orlando Magic (via Los Angeles Clippers)
26. Portland Trail Blazers (via Cleveland Cavaliers)
27. Brooklyn Nets (via Boston Celtics)
28. Los Angeles Lakers (via Houston Rockets)
30. Utah Jazz (via Golden State Warriors)