clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hawks vs. Bucks Final Score: Milwaukee outlasts Atlanta in double-overtime, 117-109

In a thrilling back-and-forth contest, the Bucks used a dominant second overtime to beat the Hawks.

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

Coming off of an underwhelming performance against the Heat on Friday night, the Hawks suffered a heartbreaking double-overtime loss to the Bucks on Saturday night at Philips Arena.

Trailing by two with 1:11 to play, Paul Millsap drew a trip to the line and knocked down both free throws to tie the game at 92-apiece. After failed trips by both sides, Khris Middleton was fouled by Thabo Sefolosha with 24 seconds remaining to earn free throws of his own. Middleton knocked down the first and missed the second, giving the Hawks the ball down by one.

After Mike Scott missed a deep three-pointer on the ensuing possession, Millsap came down with the rebound but missed a short leaner in the lane, and the Hawks were forced to foul O.J. Mayo to send him to the line. Mayo made just one, allowing the Hawks to get the ball back trailing by only two with five seconds left.

A beautiful inbound play after a timeout gave Schroder a wide open lane, and he put up a high-arcing floater that dropped softly into the net to tie the game at 94-apiece with three seconds left. The Bucks had one more opportunity for the win in regulation, but Jabari Parker waited too long to get the shot off -- that eventually went in -- and the game headed to overtime.

The first basket in overtime was a Schroder three-pointer on a second chance opportunity from Millsap's offensive rebound. Trailing 103-100 after both teams traded baskets, Jabari Parker hit a shot in the lane after miraculously receiving the ball following an awkward offensive sequence from the Bucks. Schroder then missed a three-pointer, and Milwaukee regained the lead, 104-103, from a Greg Monroe layup with 28 seconds remaining.

On the ensuing possession, Mike Scott found a wide open Schroder in the corner, but he missed the shot off the back iron, and the Hawks were forced to foul Michael Carter-Williams. Like the Bucks did multiple times late in the game, he made only one free throw, giving Atlanta the ball down by two with 18 seconds left.

This time, the Hawks were able to capitalize on a good look, as Schroder found an open Al Horford and he connected on a floater in the paint to tie the game at 105-105 with eight seconds remaining. With a second opportunity to win the game at the buzzer, Middleton found an open, rolling Monroe, but Millsap contested the layup perfectly, and Horford tipped out the rebound to send the game into double-overtime.

Milwaukee got off to a quick start in the second overtime, with Carter-Williams knocking down three consecutive shots to give the Bucks a 111-105 lead with 3:21 left. The Hawks failed to get anything going offensively, and the Bucks finally coasted comfortably ahead to capture the 117-109 victory.

There were plenty of positives and negatives in such a long and hard-fought game. Two clear negatives were the Hawks' inability to knock down perimeter shots and rebound. Atlanta finished the game 9-41 from beyond the arc for an unimpressive 22 percent. The Bucks were actually worse, shooting 3-17 from deep. The rebounding issues were apparent for the entire game. Milwaukee held a strong rebounding edge all night and finished with 65 boards compared to just 49 for Atlanta. 17 of the Bucks' rebounds were offensive, which contributed to 27 second chance points.

Millsap and Schroder headlined the Hawks' efforts with some gaudy numbers in the game. Millsap finished the game with 27 points, 11 rebounds, and six assists in a season-high 46 minutes. Schroder also totaled a season-high in minutes with 40 -- due to a shaken up Jeff Teague -- and he finished with 25 points, 10 assists, and eight rebounds.

It was another slow start for the Hawks, as Milwaukee stormed out to an 18-9 lead just five minutes into the game. After the Bucks went up 24-15 on a Monroe layup, the Hawks went on a quick 9-0 run spanning just more than two minutes to tie it up at 24 with two minutes left in the period. Despite shooting 63 percent in the quarter, the Hawks trailed 31-29 thanks to the Bucks totaling nine points off turnovers and nine second chance points.

That red-hot shooting quickly disappeared in the second quarter when the Hawks shot just 33 percent from the field, including 2-8 from three-point range. The offense was able to cut the turnovers down from the first quarter to limit damage, but Milwaukee was able to outrebound Atlanta 16-8 in the quarter. Thanks to a three-pointer from the top of the key by Millsap just before the buzzer, the Hawks entered halftime down 54-50.

After the third quarter began with mostly back-and-forth play between both teams, the Bucks used an 11-3 run to open up their largest lead of the night at 74-64. The Hawks once again struggled offensively, failing to hit a three-pointer (0-6) in the quarter. The rebounding differential also continued to increase in the third, as Milwaukee outrebounded the Hawks 16-10 in the quarter to make the edge 43-26 in total. Atlanta went into the final quarter trailing 75-68.

The seven-point deficit was quickly lessened thanks to a 9-3 run led entirely by Sefolosha and Kyle Korver to start the fourth. After a Mayo three-pointer, a Schroder make from deep and a Millsap layup gave the Hawks an 82-81 lead -- their first since early in the third quarter.

The Hawks will return to action on Monday when the Golden State Warriors head to town.