Mike Budenholzer elected to rest most of his regulars with Dwight Howard, Kent Bazemore, Kyle Korver and Dennis Schröder joining four injured players on the sidelines. The Hawks reserves hung in there against the Spurs regulars in the first half.
Things started to get away from them in the third as they fell behind by as many as 17 points. However, they rallied to tie the game in the fourth before a cold stretch to end the game sealed their fate.
Box score musings:
- Nice games for point guards Malcolm Delaney and Will Bynum. Delaney finished with 13 points, three rebounds and six assists in 24 minutes. Bynum added nine points and seven assists in 21 minutes of action off the bench.
- Taurean Prince and DeAndre’ Bembry both got off to slow starts but had some good moments. Prince finished with 13 points on 5-11 shooting and grabbed three rebounds in 27 minutes. Bembry finished with seven points on 3-8 shooting.
- Mike Muscala made his second straight start at power forward and finished with nine points, five rebounds and four assists.
- Tough night for Tim Hardaway Jr who made his preseason debut by going 1-13 from the field.
- Tony Parker led the Spurs with 15 points while LaMarcus Aldridge and Kawhi Leonard added 14 points each.
- Atlanta shot 42 percent from the field for the game and were 6-18 from three-point range. The Hawks recorded 27 assists on 34 made baskets but turned the ball over 17 times.
The Hawks return home on Monday to face the Cleveland Cavaliers in their first preseason home game this season.