Atlanta Hawks basketball officially returns tonight when the Washington Wizards return to Philips Arena to open the 2016-17 season. Here are some interesting notes and stats for the Hawks historically as they head into the new season.
- Atlanta is looking to snap a four-game losing streak on opening night. Their last opening night win came on December 27, 2011 (Lockout) in a 106-70 road win over the New Jersey Nets. In that game, Vladimir Radmanovic led Atlanta with 17 points while Zaza Pachulia logged a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Kris Humphries started at power forward for the Nets and finished with 11 points and six rebounds.
- Mike Budenholzer is 0-3 in season openers. Atlanta fell at Dallas in 2013, lost at Toronto in 2014 and fell at home to Detroit last season. Budenholzer enters the season with a 146-100 record which is sixth on the Hawks all-time list. Budenholzer needs 53 wins to tie Hubie Brown for fifth. Richie Guerin holds the franchise record with 327 wins.
- The Hawks franchise has an all-time win loss record of 2650-2656 going into the 2016-17 season. They are 1612-911 at home and 911-1581 on the road and 127-164 in neutral site games.
- Kyle Korver hit six three-pointers on opening night in 2014 against the Raptors. That is one shy of the league record for opening night held by Danilo Gallinari and Dennis Scott.
- Dwight Howard holds the record for the most rebounds on opening night with 26 for the Rockets in 2013 against Charlotte. He also holds the record for most free throw attempts without a make on opening night with six back in 2004 while playing for Orlando.
- Dikembe Mutombo blocked eight shots against the Cavaliers in the 1999 season opener. Anthony Davis set the league record in 2014 with nine.