The Atlanta Hawks suffered their second loss of the preseason Thursday night falling to Detroit by a score of 99-94.
Dennis Schröder and Dwight Howard helped the Hawks get off to a quick start. Atlanta led 33-19 at the end of the first quarter. The Pistons answered back in the second outscoring the Hawks 24-17 to cut the halftime deficit to just seven points at 50-43.
The Pistons kept that momentum going in the third. Detroit made 13-21 attempts in the third and were 8-9 from the free throw line. They outscored Atlanta 36-23 in the period to take a 79-73 advantage into the fourth.
Atlanta battled back and took the lead on an Edy Tavares dunk with 1:46 remaining but Detroit would end the game with a 9-4 run to seal the victory.
Dennis Schröder led Atlanta with 17 points and nine assists. Dwight Howard fouled out in 28 minutes but finished with 15 points and nine rebounds. Malcolm Delaney chipped in 13 points off the bench. Ish Smith and Tobias Harris led the Pistons with 18 points each.
Box Score Bullets
- Atlanta shot 43 percent from the field and were 11-28 from three-point range. They converted on 11-16 free throw attempts with Schröder going a perfect 5-5.
- The Hawks racked up 25 assists on 36 made baskets but turned the ball over 19 times. Schröder was tagged with five himself.
- Detroit shot 43 percent from the field also but out rebounded Atlanta 45-40 and finished with a 13-6 edge in second-chance points.
- Another tough night shooting the basketball for Tim Hardaway Jr. who finished with three points on 1-10 shooting.
- Another nice all-around game by Ryan Kelly who finished with seven points, four rebounds and three assists in 24 minutes.
- Mike Muscala, Mike Scott and Thabo Sefolosha were all healthy scratches from the game.
The Hawks will continue their preseason schedule on Sunday with a trip to Orlando to face the Magic.