clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

NBA General Managers' pick Atlanta Hawks to finish 3rd in East

New, comments

The Atlanta Hawks were picked to finish a distant third in the East by NBA General Managers participating in NBA.com's annual survey.

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

NBA.com's annual General Managers' survey predicts the Atlanta Hawks to finish a distant third in the Eastern Conference during the upcoming season. Cleveland finished as the overwhelming favorite capturing 96.6 percent of the vote. The Chicago Bulls, with a new coach in Fred Hoiberg, captured the other 3.4 percent of the first-place votes. The Hawks 13.8 percent of the second place votes and 34.5 percent of third place to edge out Miami in the poll.

The Cavaliers are the overwhelming favorite among General Managers to win this season's championship capturing 53.6 percent of the votes. They were followed by San Antonio and the defending champion Warriors who finished third with just 17.9 percent.

Mike Budenholzer and several Hawks players made appearances throughout the rest of the survey. Gregg Popovich captured over 93 percent of the vote for best head coach, but Budenholzer and Steve Kerr also received votes. Budenholzer also finished third in the best offense category behind Kerr and Popovich. Was a bit surprising to not see Kenny Atkinson or Darvin Ham receive votes in the voting for best assistant coach.

Kyle Korver also made an appearance in the survey finishing second in the best pure shooter category to Steph Curry. Korver was voted as the best player at moving without the ball for the second straight season, receiving 69 percent of the votes. He also finished third in the voting for "best role player" coming in behind Andre Iguodala and Draymond Green.

Jeff Teague received votes in the "player who is fastest with the ball" category. John Wall took home the honor for the second straight season. Atlanta's acquisition of Tiago Splitter received votes for most underrated acquisition with Ty Lawson, Paul Pierce and David West tying for the lead in the vote.