Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Atlanta Hawks will match the offer sheet that Jeff Teague signed with the Milwaukee Bucks. The move will keep Teague in Atlanta and clears up the Hawks' point guard picture for this season.
Hawks will match the offer sheet to Jeff Teague. Back in Atlanta. #ATLHawks— Chris Vivlamore (@ajchawks) July 13, 2013
CBS Sports' Ken Berger confirmed the AJC's report moments after and added that the Atlanta front office decided two days ago that they would match the offer. Berger also added that it was Atlanta's intention from the beginning to keep Teague and he never was a serious candidate for a sign and trade.
The Hawks' intention all along was to keep Teague, not sign-and-trade him to the Bucks, source says.— Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) July 13, 2013
Teague started 78 games for the Hawks last season and posted career highs in points (14.6) and assists 7.2. The reported contract is for four years and $32 million.
Update - The Atlanta Hawks have issued a press release and officially confirmed that they have matched the offer sheet that Teague signed with the Bucks.
More from Peachtree Hoops:
- Hawks to match Bucks' offer to Jeff Teague, according to report.
- 2013 NBA Free Agency: Devin Harris has dislocated toe, won't sign with Mavericks
- Vegas Summer League 2013: Dennis Schröder, Lucas Nogueira debut for Atlanta Hawks
- Atlanta Hawks fall in Vegas Summer League opener 90-83
- Lucas Nogueira added to Atlanta Hawks' summer league roster