The Atlanta Hawks opened play in the Vegas Summer League Friday night with a 90-83 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers. Atlanta got off to a good start but a tough second quarter proved to be the difference in the game.
The Hawks opened the game with a flurry of movement and the first glimpse of what their new offense under Mike Budenholzer will look like. Some crisp passing combined with a solid pick and roll game had the Hawks in front early. However, some hot shooting from the likes of Reggie Bullock pulled L.A. to within 24-22 at the end of the first quarter.
The second was all Clippers as they pounded away at the Hawks with a flurry of jump shots while Atlanta struggled to establish any sort of rhythm on the offensive end. By the time the dust settled, the Hawks had been outscored 33-13 in the quarter and trailed 55-37 at the half. Atlanta cut into the deficit with a strong fourth quarter but the Clippers never really felt threatened from the second quarter on.
John Jenkins was aggressive and led the Hawks on 11-23 shooting. Shelvin Mack and Mike Muscala added 11 points off the bench while Lucas Nogueira finished with 10 points and eight rebounds. Dennis Schröder finished with six points and seven assists.
Bullock led the Clippers with 18 points while Semardo Samuels and DaJuan Summers finished with 15 points each.
More from Peachtree Hoops:
- Lucas Nogueira added to Atlanta Hawks' summer league roster
- Kyle Korver officially signs new contract with the Atlanta Hawks
- 2013 Vegas Summer League: Atlanta Hawks vs. Los Angeles Clippers game thread
- 2013 Vegas Summer League Game 1: Atlanta Hawks vs. Los Angeles Clippers
- 2013 Vegas Summer League, Hawks vs Clippers time, TV, streaming info and more