The Atlanta Hawks have cut their training camp roster to 17 players after announcing that they have waived veteran forward Damien Wilkins along with Adonis Thomas and David Lighty. Wilkins appeared in two preseason games and started at small forward in Sunday's loss to the New Orleans Pelicans. Thomas and Lighty appeared in one preseason game each.
Wilkins inclusion in the first cut is a bit of a surprise and is good news for James Johnson. By waiving Wilkins now it gives him the opportunity to latch on elsewhere.
Eric Dawson is the lone surprise here with team perhaps wanting to keep him around a little longer in the wake of Gustavo Ayon's shoulder injury. Johnson is fighting for a roster spot to help provide wing depth while Royal Ivey continues to battle Shelvin Mack for one of the remaining guard spots. The Hawks are back in action on Thursday in the preseason home opener against the San Antonio Spurs.
More from Peachtree Hoops:
- Damien Wilkins, Adonis Thomas, David Lighty waived by the Atlanta Hawks
- NBA Previews: Central Division and Northwest Division
- 2014 Atlanta Hawks season preview: Competitive rebuilding
- Atlanta Hawks Week in Review: Roster cuts, SB Nation NBA previews and more
- Hawks vs Pelicans final score: New Orleans hammers Atlanta 105-73