Gustavo Ayon and Mexico continued their strong play at the 2013 FIBA Americas defeating Argentina 76-70 to advance to the tournament finals. Mexico will take on either the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico on Wednesday. Mexico has already qualified for the Basketball World Cup to be held in Spain next August.
After falling behind in the first half, Mexico finished strong outscoring Argentina 23-12 in the fourth quarter. Ayon once again came up big finishing with 24 points and 12 rebounds. Jorge Gutierrez and Hector Hernandez finished with 14 points each while Lorenzo Mata added 13. Luis Scola finished with 18 points, eight rebounds and five assists for Argentina.
Mexico will enter Wednesday's final as the favorite having defeated both the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico earlier in the tournament. Ayon finished with 16 points and eight rebounds in the earlier meeting with the Dominican Republic.
More from Peachtree Hoops:
- Free Agency Rewind: Where does Pero Antic fit with the Atlanta Hawks?
- Atlanta Hawks Schedule 2014: SportSouth to televise 75 games
- FIBA Americas 2013: Gustavo Ayon, Mexico advance to semifinals
- Eurobasket 2013: Pero Antic, Macedonia fall 75-67 to Lithuania
- 2013 FIBA Americas: Gustavo Ayon solid in loss to Canada