Reports indicate that free agent forward Ivan Johnson is seriously considering taking his game overseas next season after he has failed to garner much interest on the NBA's free agent market. RealGM's Shams Charania reports that Johnson has lucrative offers from teams in China and Italy. The report also indicates that four NBA teams are interested in Johnson but not for anything more than a league minimum salary.
Johnson has performed well as a reserve big man off the bench in his two seasons in Atlanta averaging 6.5 points and 3.9 rebounds. His rough and tumble nature and hard nosed style quickly made him a fan favorite with the Hawks. Still no other NBA team seems willing to make a sizeable commitment for Johnson.
As has been the case for his two seasons in Atlanta it seems that there is a piece of this story missing. Johnson's well traveled past has been chronicled but for the most part his time in Atlanta came without incident. Still despite performing well on the court it seems that NBA teams are still leery of him.
More from Peachtree Hoops:
- Free Agency Rewind: Paul Millsap gives Atlanta an efficient option at power forward
- ESPN.com projects the Atlanta Hawks as the 6th seed in the East
- Lucas Nogueira to remain in Spain next season
- Free Agency rewind: Another look at the Kyle Korver signing
- Anthony Tolliver headed to Charlotte on 1-year deal