The Atlanta Hawks opened up its exhibition season with a 92-87 loss to the Miami Heat on Monday. The team struggled out of the gate but was able to close the gap thanks to some solid play from the reserves late. Here are some bullet point observations from Monday's loss:
- DeMarre Carroll finished with 10 points, four rebounds, two assists and three steals. He was all over the floor and looks like he could quickly become a fan favorite in Atlanta due to his high intensity style of play.
- James Johnson was one of the first subs off the bench and was very active finishing with two points, five rebounds and an assist in 20 minutes of action. Damien Wilkins was a DNP-CD on Monday but could see some action in Tuesday's game against Charlotte.
- Gustavo Ayon was the first big off the bench on Monday but lasted just 3:41 before suffering a shoulder injury. He is to be reevaluated on Tuesday.
- Pero Antic looked hesitant in his NBA debut finishing with three points and four rebounds on 1-8 shooting.
- Dennis Schröder also made his debut finishing with four points, two assists and one steal. Schröder displayed elite quickness and used it to his advantage defensively where he drew three offensive fouls. He got to the rim a couple of times late and couldn't finish which is something that he will need to work on throughout his rookie season.
- Mike Scott came in early and impressed scoring a game-high 13 points on 6-10 shooting while grabbing six rebounds. He primarily played the power forward position and could push for a spot in the rotation with a solid preseason. He certainly got things off to a good start on Monday.
- With John Jenkins and Lou Williams out due to injury, Jared Cunningham got an opportunity to play 16 minutes and finished with eight points on 3-5 shooting.
- Shelvin Mack made the most of his opportunity finishing with eight points and four assists while helping lead Atlanta's comeback. Royal Ivey was a DNP in Monday's game and its worth mentioning that most of Mack's playing time came alongside Dennis Schröder in a two point guard lineup.
- In addition to Wilkins and Ivey, Elton Brand, David Lighty and Adonis Thomas received DNP-CD's.