John (losing credibility by the second) Hollinger has the Hawks ranked number 9 in the Eastern Conference for 2011-2012. He claims that the loss of Jamal Crawford with the improvement of other teams will push the Hawks out of a playoff spot. Let's just take a look at the Hawks bench in general to debunk Hollinger's ranking. Going by Hollinger's PER alone shows that the 11-12' Hawks bench, as a whole, is better than last years.
- Mo Evans
I would say the 10'-11' team has one scorer that does nothing but that and does nothing to try to get the other players involved. The 11'-12' bench has a great point that would or could be starting on most other teams (though he will be out for a month, Pargo is a very serviceable backup), a long and athletic SG that can defend (Sy), a veteran that can still put the ball in the basket and play defense (a lot better than Jamal), a 6'10 spot up 3 point sharp shooter who will be open when Hinrich/Pargo and McGrady create (Radmanovic), and a beast/energy guy (Pachulia) off the bench. I would take bench number 2 over the 10'-11' bench.
Let's look at the benches of some teams ranked above the Hawks and see what they have:
- Eddie House vs Hinrich/Pargo (advt. Hawks)
- Mike Miller vs Sy (advt. Heat)
- Battier vs T-Mac ( advt Hawks)
- Haslem vs Radmanovic (push)
- Pittman vs Pachulia (advt Hawks)
- Duhon vs Hinrich/Pargo (advt Hawks)
- J.J. vs Sy (advt Magic)
- Q. Richardson vs T-Mac ( advt Hawks)
- Anderson vs Radmanovic (advt Magic)
- Orton vs Pachulia (advt Hawks)
- Bradley vs Hinrich/Pargo (advt Hawks)
- Dooling vs Sy (push)
- Daniels vs T-Mac (push)
- Bass vs Radmanovic (advt Celts)
- Wilcox vs Pachulia (push)
- Davis vs Hinrich/Parg (advt Knicks)
- Shumpert vs Sy (Push)
- Walker vs T-Mac (Advt Hawks)
- Jeffries vs Radmanovic (advt Hawks)
- J. Jordan vs Pachulia (advt Hawks)
Honestly, I believe the Hawks bench lost some great scoring by losing Jamal, but I believe they gained more players that can score at a decent rate and play better defense. I believe the Hawks bench will be much better on defense this year and that alone will help make up for the offense missing from Jamal. I think the Hawks bench is better than most of the teams in the East and will allow them to claim one of the top 4 spots in the Eastern Conference.
Compared to the 2010-2011 Hawks bench the 2011-2012 Hawks bench will be...
better on both Offense and Defense (41 votes)
better on Offense, but worse on Defense (3 votes)
better on Defense, but worse on Offense (18 votes)
worse on both Offense and Defense (7 votes)
69 total votes